CIOL members not for Brexit

Brexit Published on Tuesday, 01 March 2016 Parent Category: News Share page with AddThis

With the date of the EU referendum fast approaching, CIOL, through an online survey, has canvassed members’ opinions on whether the UK should remain in the EU or not.

CIOL members are language professionals who are based all over the world, working across borders and across languages. So the UK remaining in or leaving the EU is a subject of great importance to many of them for both professional and personal reasons, whether or not they are British citizens.

Almost 23% of those contacted responded to the survey, and around 82% of those who clicked through to the survey completed it.

Nearly 84% of respondents said they are in favour of the UK remaining in the EU, with 16% against staying in.

Respondents against Brexit were prompted to give their two most important reasons, and by far the majority chose ‘Freedom to live and work in other EU countries’ and ‘Better for trade, investment in the UK and jobs’.

‘Sovereignty of UK parliament’ and ‘Greater control over immigration’ were the two most important reasons given for those wanting the UK to leave the EU.

We were also interested to know where respondents lived, and 75% are in the UK, 19% in another EU country, and just 6% outside the EU.

CIOL values the views of its members; the results will now enable CIOL to represent its members on this important issue.

 

Further information from:

Debbie Butler
Communications and Marketing Manager
deborah.butler@ciol.org.uk
+44 (0)20 7940 3105

(The Linguist) | Published 2017-06-21
(Jobs) | Published 2017-06-16
(News) | Published 2017-05-30
(Blog) | Published 2017-05-12
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-05-05
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-04-28
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-04-07
(News) | Published 2017-04-04
(Brexit) | Published 2017-03-23
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-03-16
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-03-06
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-03-01
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-02-08
Downpatrick Courthouse
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-01-25
(The Linguist) | Published 2017-01-11
(The Linguist) | Published 2016-12-31
Awards 2016
(News) | Published 2016-11-18
(News) | Published 2016-10-04
(Jobs) | Published 2016-09-16
(Jobs) | Published 2016-09-16
(News) | Published 2016-09-07
(News) | Published 2016-08-26
(A Life with Languages) | Published 2016-08-16
(Brexit) | Published 2016-08-01
(News) | Published 2016-07-29
Evelyn Reisinger
(A Life with Languages) | Published 2016-06-03
Threlford Memorial Cup
(News) | Published 2016-05-31
Pie chart
(News) | Published 2016-05-26
Budapest
(Blog) | Published 2016-05-24
Karen Stokes FCIL CL
(News) | Published 2016-04-27
Percy Balemans
(A Life with Languages) | Published 2016-04-07
Pathway
(News) | Published 2016-04-05
Membership pathway
(Blog) | Published 2016-03-31
Language Show Scotland
(News) | Published 2016-03-14
EU flag
(Brexit) | Published 2016-03-01
Raymond Cheng
(A Life with Languages) | Published 2016-02-18
Assessors
(Jobs) | Published 2016-02-17
Irina Young
(A Life with Languages) | Published 2015-11-30
Carine Toucand
(A Life with Languages) | Published 2015-11-23
Angeliki Petrits
(A Life with Languages) | Published 2015-10-22