Wherever you are in your career as a language professional – whether you're an undergraduate studying a language at university or a senior, more experienced linguist, we have a grade of membership to suit you. Through membership CIOL provides you with a pathway to support your career ambitions, your professional development and is your route to chartership.
Applications for membership are accepted at any time of the year. The membership year runs from 1 September to 31 August, with the exception of IoLET Affiliate membership which is a rolling 12-month membership from the date you join.
We aim to make the online application process as straightforward and smooth as possible but please contact the membership team if you need help or advice.
Step 1 – Find your grade
Review our membership grades to see which one best reflects your qualifications, experience and career stage.
Step 2 – Apply online
Complete the relevant online form for the grade you wish to apply for.
- Student Affiliate
- IoLET Affiliate (new candidates / existing candidates)
- Career Affiliate
- Associate, Member, Fellow (includes chartership option)
Step 3 – Provide payment
- Student Affiliate membership is free
- IoLET Affiliate applications must be accompanied by the annual membership fee of £25.00 payable as part of the online application form
- Career Affiliate, Associate, Member and Fellow applications must be accompanied by an assessment fee of £25.00, payable as part of the online application form
If you're also seeking chartership alongside your Member or Fellow application, please remember to include evidence of your CPD and a reflective statement.
Receipt of your application will be acknowledged and assessment will begin.
Please do not submit your application unless you have all the evidence required including details of your referees (Associate, Member, Fellow applications only).
We aim to advise you of the outcome within six weeks of submission.