Career Affiliate is open to anyone considering a career using their foreign language skills in a professional context, or language practitioners who do not yet meet the entry criteria to be admitted as an Associate.
You can also apply if your foreign-language skill is a valuable professional tool but is not the main focus of your work.
Who can join?
Applicants for Career Affiliate will normally be linguists:
- with under one years' work experience using their language(s) professionally, who hold a degree or post graduate qualification in their non-native language or specialist language qualification i.e. IoLET Diploma in Translation (DipTrans), Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) and Diploma in Police Interpreting (DPI)
- who do not hold a degree or post graduate language or specialist language qualification but who do have up to three years' work experience using their languages professionally
- who do not hold a degree or post graduate language or specialist qualification but who do hold a lower level qualification such as a community interpreting qualification and / or the IoLET's Certificate in Languages for Business (CLB) or Certificate in Bilingual Skills (CBS)
- who use their foreign-language skills as a professional tool but using a foreign language is not necessarily the main focus of their work
- Demonstrates your professional commitment as a linguist to clients and employers; Career Affiliate is your first step to becoming a Chartered Linguist
- Builds your professional network and, if freelance, builds your profile and brand
- Competitive rates for Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Ask questions in the forums and get advice from fellow linguists
- Download member-only publications, such as the Translator's Pack, Interpreter's Pack and Rates & Salaries Survey
- Raise your profile by contributing to discussions
- Take advantage of a wide range of membership benefits including the CIOL Advantage package and discounts on training workshops.
- A free copy of The Linguist, CIOL's professional journal issued six times a year
- Monthly members' update including Institute news, event and updates
Continuing Professional Development; Career Affiliates can participate in a range of sector specific CPD events offered by CIOL and its professional divisions. Career Affiliates can also access a range of CPD webinars through CIOL partner organisation eCPD Webinars, benefitting from a special member discount.
Career Affiliates can join one or more of CIOL's professional divisions – Translating, Interpreting or BPG (Business, Professions and Government) which provide unique face-to-face networking events and online forums.
What does it cost?
There is a one-off non-refundable £25.00 assessment fee which must be paid at the point of application. The annual membership fee, payable once your membership has been confirmed is £85.00 (by Direct Debit and for overseas members) and £87.00 for all other payment methods. Your membership fee will be pro-rated if you join part-way through the membership year.
When can I join?
The membership year runs from 1 September to 31 August but you can apply at any time.
What do I do next?
Read the full admissions criteria to determine which grade of membership is the most suitable for you. Then gather the evidence. You will need:
- Your CV
- Brief summary of your work experience to date using your languages professionally
Once the application form has been received, plus the assessment fee/upgrade fee, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement. CIOL will then assess the evidence provided and will endeavour to confirm your admission to membership within 30 working days.
Please take a look at our FAQs in the first instance.