Associate membership is for language practitioners with a minimum of one year’s work experience using their foreign language skills in a professional context.
Who can join?
Applicants for Associate membership will normally be practising linguists with at least one of the following:
- A degree or post-graduate qualification in their non-native language or language specialism such as translation or interpreting, plus a minimum of one year's work experience; part-time work over a longer period is also acceptable
- A joint honours degree which includes a foreign language (inter-disciplinary programmes with a foreign language component), plus a minimum of one year's work experience; part-time work over a longer period is also acceptable
- CIOLQ Level 7 Diploma in Translation
- CIOLQ Level 6 Diploma in Public Service Interpreting
- CIOLQ Level 6 Diploma in Police Interpreting
- Interim registration with the National Register of Public Service Interpreters (NRPSI)
Other certificates and diplomas (at degree and post graduate level) will also be considered on the basis that CIOL is able to determine comparability through Ofqual or Ecctis.
If you do not meet the criteria (for example you do not hold the requisite qualification), but you have at least three years’ work experience using your foreign language skills in a professional context, then we may be able to treat your application as a special consideration case. Please contact the membership team for further guidance before completing your application.
- Membership demonstrates your professional commitment to clients and employers; Associate membership is the first professional grade of CIOL membership and is your route to becoming a full Member and Chartered Linguist
- Use of the designatory letters ACIL and CIOL Associate logo to display on your website, social media profile, email footer, CV
- Competitive rates for Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Free entry in CIOL’s online Find-a-Linguist directory putting new clients in touch with you
- Templates for the practising freelance translator and interpreters including terms of business and sample contract
- Access to a range of CIOL Info sheets on topics such as certified translations, tax and VAT guidance, utilising social media, creating a powerful CV and much more
- Discounts on a range of products and services such as favorable rates for MemoQ software
- A free copy of The Linguist, CIOL's professional journal issued six times a year
- Monthly members' update including CIOL news, event and updates
- Opportunity to attend networking events and to participate in CIOL surveys
Continuing Professional Development; Associates can participate in a range of sector specific CPD events offered by CIOL and its professional divisions. Associate members can also access a range of CPD webinars through CIOL partner organisation eCPD Webinars, benefitting from a special member discount.
Associates can join one or more of CIOL’s professional divisions – Translating, Interpreting or BPG (Business, Professions and Government) which provide unique face-to-face networking events, CPD activities and online forums.
What does it cost?
There is a one-off non-refundable £25.00 assessment fee/upgrade fee which must be paid at the point of application. The annual membership fee, payable once your membership has been confirmed, is £130.00.
When can I join?
You can apply to join at any time of year. CIOL operates a rolling membership and your membership will begin on the day your application is successful and will be valid for a full calendar year.
What do I do next?
Read the full admissions criteria to determine which grade of membership is the most suitable for you. Then gather the evidence. You will need:
- Your CV
- Copies of your qualifications
- Details of your work experience to date, including the average number of words translated each year, and/or hours interpreting and/or teaching (if freelance)
- The names of two referees who are able to comment on your language skills and professional practice - referees should be native or near-native speakers of the language(s) you are seeking membership in
- If seeking chartership – evidence of CPD and your future CPD plans
Please read the guidance notes for applicants in full before commencing your online registration. You will also need your credit or debit card to pay the £25.00 assessment fee/upgrade fee.
Once your application and payment have been received you will receive an automatic acknowledgement. CIOL will then assess the evidence provided and will endeavour to confirm your admission to membership within 30 working days.
Please take a look at our FAQs in the first instance.
For further information on how to apply and/or admissions criteria, please contact the membership team.