Cookies are information packets sent by web servers to web browsers, and stored by the web browsers.
The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables a web server to identify and track web browsers.
There are two main kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies are deleted from your computer when you close your browser, whereas persistent cookies remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach their expiry date.
Cookies on our website
CIOL uses the following cookies on this website, for the following purposes:
- Analytics – We anonymously measure your use of this website to improve your experience
- Social media – Facebook, Twitter and other social websites need to know who you are to work properly
Identity Web Design publishes Google Adsense interest-based advertisements on this website. These are tailored by Google to reflect your interests. To determine your interests, Google will track your behaviour across the web using cookies. You can view, delete or add interest categories associated with your browser using Google's Ads Preference Manager, available here. You can opt-out of the Adsense partner network cookie here. However, this opt-out mechanism uses a cookie, and if you clear the cookies from your browser your opt-out will not be maintained. To ensure that an opt-out is maintained in respect of a particular browser, you should use the Google browser plug-in available here.
- Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies.
- In Internet Explorer, you can refuse all cookies by clicking "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy", and selecting "Block all cookies" using the sliding selector.
- In Firefox, you can adjust your cookies settings by clicking "Tools", "Options" and "Privacy".
- If your browser provider is not listed above please check that provider's website for instructions on how to refuse to accept cookies.
- Blocking cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of some websites.